RE: E-M:/ Hybrid cars

Enviro-Mich message from "Link, Terry" <link@mail.lib.msu.edu>

Interesting conversations here, lots of wisdom and insights. Oh yes, speaking of Insights, I drive a 2000. In summer I average about 64 mpg. Winter drops to mid 50's. On a recent speaking tour of Indiana and Kentucky I averaged over 70 for the 1100 mile journey. What I haven't  read from any other hybrid drivers (but then I'm skimming only some of the messages) is how driving a hybrid, partly because of the readouts, brings you to a  mindfulness about HOW you are driving. This impacts the mpg more than folks realize. Minor changes in road elevation and surface, wind conditions, and speed of acceleration all are dramatically presented on the dashboards of the hybrids. If one drives as my late father always taught us, to drive as if you shouldn't need to brake except for stops, you can save a lot.
I also serendipitously found myself getting 100+mpg one day after merging onto a freeway and behind a semi (effectively drafting them). In good weather conditions with clear visibility I'll now often ride comfortably behind a semi (5 car lengths) at 65-75 mph and just watch the readouts show between 75-125 mph depending upon other conditions mentioned above.  So just a plug for the mindfulness the hybrid vehicles bring to HOW we drive. Of course one can do these things in their non-hybrid vehicles and significantly improve mileage...

Drive safely!!!!

Terry Link, Director
Office of Campus Sustainability
Michigan State University