E-M:/ Alternative lighting concerns.

Enviro-Mich message from RC <gonzoid1@sbcglobal.net>

I was at the local Lowes yesterday looking for alternative lighting to replace some burned out bulbs and was looking at what is out there to choose from.

The only thing that they have available are those 'made in China' fluorescent 'bulbs' which contain small amounts of mercury. No LED bulbs, nothing...

I am concerned that buying those fluorescent devices is spreading the possibility for greater mercury contamination for the environment later. Is this alternative a Faustian bargain? Are we saving some electricity at the cost of dramatically increased mercury going to landfills and the environment? I see those things in 12 packs from trusty Wal-Wart and have to wonder what the effect of that will be and why no one seems to care.

Or am I an environmental chicken little worrying about nothing.

Robert Cowling Michigan Environ-Mental-ist