Re: E-M:/ Alternative lighting concerns.

I was startled when I learned about the CF bulbs and mercury. I did some research, here's what it said:

CF bulbs contain an amount of mercury equivalent to 1/200th to 1/1000th of the mercury in an old-fashioned thermometer.

If your electricity is from a coal-fired power plant, the quantity of mercury you will prevent being emitted by the power plant over the lifetime of a CF bulb will be equivalent to roughly 4 to 5 times the mercury that it in the bulb itself.

That having been said, old mercury bulbs OUGHT to be disposed of as hazardous waste; or there should be some take-back system where retailers send old bulbs back to the manufacturer for recycling or proper disposal.

And, if you break one, just be careful about cleaning up. Use a wet rag to collect any possible mercury after you pick up the pieces, and toss the rag.

> I noticed the same thing at Home Depot.
>

> In a message dated 5/28/2007 9:12:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> gonzoid1@sbcglobal.net writes:
> I was at
> the local Lowes yesterday looking for alternative lighting to replace some
> burned out bulbs and was looking at what is out there to choose
> from.The only thing that they have available are those 'made in China'
> fluorescent 'bulbs' which contain small amounts of mercury. No LED
> bulbs, nothing...I am concerned that buying those fluorescent
> devices is spreading the possibility for greater mercury contamination for
> the environment later. Is this alternative a Faustian bargain? Are we
> saving some electricity at the cost of dramatically increased mercury
> going to landfills and the environment? I see those things in 12 packs
> from trusty Wal-Wart and have to wonder what the effect of that will be
> and why no one seems to care.Or am I an environmental chicken
> little worrying about nothing.Robert CowlingMichigan
> Environ-Mental-ist
>

> Edie Britt~A Spiritual Discovery : Psychic
> Medium and Spiritual Advisor If you have
> received this mail in error or wish to be removed from this list please click
> here and put unsubscribe in the Subject line : Wovenwoman@aol.comSee what's free at AOL.com.

---
CoreComm Webmail
http://www.core.com