E-M:/ RE: E/M What is this????????????? Near RACO, MI

Enviro-Mich message from "Eric Piehl" <ericpiehl@comcast.net>

That explains it.

Sure looks like an airport, with:
	three interlocking runways, and
	a ramp to the west.
But:
	no buildings visible,
	no runway numbers to verify you are landing in the right place,
	no piano keys to show you where to put your wheels down.

If the original buildings were WWII barracks and not maintained since, that
explains it.

I do not see big X's drawn or cut into them to show the runway is not in
use.

That site's Topo Map tab also calls it "Raco Field."

Google
<http://maps.google.com?ll=46.353445,-84.80999&spn=0.026362,0.080338&t=h&z=1
4> also shows it like that, and also calls the road M-28.

But it does have big white and black bars every 50 feet, and small ones
every 4 meters (?).  Are these for photo surveys?  When I worked on a
surveying crew for the US Armey Corps of Engineers in another state, we had
markers not much like that painted on some roads, in farmers' fields, etc.,
in areas that we were doing long-term photo-surveys.  We had white-on-black
crosshairs, and white circles.

Peace, Eric Piehl.
----