Re: E-M:/ Alternative lighting concerns.

Take a look at these two links about CFLs and Hg in lighting...
http://www.earth-policy.org/Updates/2007/Update66.htm
http://www.newmoa.org/prevention/mercury/imerc/FactSheets/lighting.cfm

They provide a realistic view on the industrial and home uses of Hg in lighting. Like so often we are quick to fear with a new appliance/technology. As you'll see, CFLs actually use much less Hg than many many other standard lighting styles. But again, this should NOT take back from the need for proper disposal. And proper disposal requires proper (i.e., obvious) consumer labeling and education. A take-back system (or other incentive to push proper recyling of the bulb) sounds like a great option. As for LEDs, although they have incredible potential, they unfortunately (at this time) cannot be used in a lot of standard home lighting setups.

This link also provides great information about CFLs and LEDs...
http://www.eartheasy.com/live_energyeff_lighting.htm

This recent link provides the proper response to a CFL breaking in the home...
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070512/OPINION03/705120352/1038/LIFESTYLE01

Craig
Inactive hide details for "Hugh McDiarmid Jr." <hughmec@voyager.net>"Hugh McDiarmid Jr." <hughmec@voyager.net>

          "Hugh McDiarmid Jr." <hughmec@voyager.net>
          Sent by: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net

          05/28/2007 01:46 PM

          Please respond to
          "Hugh McDiarmid Jr." <hughmec@voyager.net>

WovenWoman@aol.com, enviro-mich@great-lakes.net

cc

Subject

Re: E-M:/ Alternative lighting concerns.

I was startled when I learned about the CF bulbs and mercury. I did some research, here's what it said:

CF bulbs contain an amount of mercury equivalent to 1/200th to 1/1000th of the mercury in an old-fashioned thermometer.

If your electricity is from a coal-fired power plant, the quantity of mercury you will prevent being emitted by the power plant over the lifetime of a CF bulb will be equivalent to roughly 4 to 5 times the mercury that it in the bulb itself.

That having been said, old mercury bulbs OUGHT to be disposed of as hazardous waste; or there should be some take-back system where retailers send old bulbs back to the manufacturer for recycling or proper disposal.

And, if you break one, just be careful about cleaning up. Use a wet rag to collect any possible mercury after you pick up the pieces, and toss the rag.

> I noticed the same thing at Home Depot.
>

> In a message dated 5/28/2007 9:12:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> gonzoid1@sbcglobal.net writes:
> I was at
> the local Lowes yesterday looking for alternative lighting to replace some
> burned out bulbs and was looking at what is out there to choose
> from.The only thing that they have available are those 'made in China'
> fluorescent 'bulbs' which contain small amounts of mercury. No LED
> bulbs, nothing...I am concerned that buying those fluorescent
> devices is spreading the possibility for greater mercury contamination for
> the environment later. Is this alternative a Faustian bargain? Are we
> saving some electricity at the cost of dramatically increased mercury
> going to landfills and the environment? I see those things in 12 packs
> from trusty Wal-Wart and have to wonder what the effect of that will be
> and why no one seems to care.Or am I an environmental chicken
> little worrying about nothing.Robert CowlingMichigan
> Environ-Mental-ist
>

> Edie Britt~A Spiritual Discovery : Psychic
> Medium and Spiritual Advisor If you have
> received this mail in error or wish to be removed from this list please click
> here and put unsubscribe in the Subject line : Wovenwoman@aol.comSee what's free at AOL.com.

---
CoreComm Webmail
http://www.core.com