Re: E-M:/ methane reclamation/CAFOs

There are currently 3 anaerobic digesters installed on concentrated animal feeding operations in Michigan.  Two of those are have been operational for over a year and the third will begin operation this week.  In addition there are several projects being planned and constructed across the state.  These are in various phases from conceptual to completing construction.  They are a mix of single farms and regional systems.  One of the operating digesters is utilizing the methane to heat their boiler, one is cleaning the gas to pipeline quality for sale to the natural gas company.  The third will be generating electricity and selling that back to the grid.

Michelle

Michelle F. Crook, P.E.
Environmental Stewardship Division
Michigan Department of Agriculture
517-335-2487
Fax: 517-335-3329

>>> Larry Nooden <ldnum@umich.edu> 6/19/2007 11:10 AM >>>

For better or worse, you have hit on an important point.  The improved
ability to capture the methane produced may be an argument for
concentrating these feeding operations.

For my part, however, I think I will shift more toward vegetarianism.

--On Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:07 AM -0400 Anna Dorothy Graham