Re: E-M:/ Sierra Club New Report: The Dirty Truth About Coal

The coal industry disinformation machine has kicked into high gear in Ohio. To my surprise, they have been given very prominent positions (and disproportionate representation) in some forums, e.g., spots on the Friday eve discussion group The Editors on Toledo Public Television.

Public broadcasting must be monitored and pressed not to become dependent on financial support from special interests like the National Mining Association which could suppress bad news about their activities. The need for independent/umbiased investigative reporting and news coverage seems worth mentioning when you pledge your support.

They are claiming that global warming is not caused by human activities and dismissing the coal-related environmental problems by saying new technology can fix them. I expect they would not spend the money to fix the problems even if the technology became available.

I believe most of Michigan's mercury fallout comes from Ohio's coal plants, so we have a big stake in the PR campaign in Ohio.