E-M:/ MAEAP Farm Busted for Illegal Immigrant Workers

A Michigan Agricultural Assurance Program approved farm was
busted for employing illegal immigrants twice in two months.

http://www.mlive.com/news/bctimes/index.ssf?/base/news-9/11825253243350.xml&coll=4&thispage=1

I guess if the immigrant  CAFO owners from the Netherlands can commit criminal acts
by hiring illegal immigrants from Mexico twice in two months, then this is supposed to give
us all confidence that they will comply with voluntary best management practices
with no permit required under Senator VanWoerkom's legislation that passed
the Michigan Senate to allegedly ensure Michigan waters will be clean.....because
this CAFO owner is in the Michigan Agricultural Environmental Assurance Program (MAEAP).

Speaking of VanWoerkom....  He follows in important footsteps.....

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman..."

"The British Government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently
sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

"Read my lips...No new Taxes"

"I had no idea we were trading arms for hostages"

"We went to war because Iraq had weapons of mass destruction"

NOW COMES SENATOR GERALD VANWOERKOM...BEATING
THEM ALL....  WITH A MICHIGAN SENATE NEWS RELEASE.....
A SO-CALLED "CHRISTIAN EDUCATOR" USING TAX PAYER
DOLLARS TO LIE ABOUT SENATE LEGISLATION.

==========================
For Immediate
Release

June 20,
2007

Contact: Kristyn Ladd
(517) 373-8880

Senate passes legislation to strengthen rules for large livestock
producers by putting MAEAP requirements into law

LANSING?The Senate today approved bipartisan legislation that will

strengthen laws governing large livestock producers in Michigan, while
helping them protect the environment and remain economically
competitive, said Sens. Cameron S. Brown and Gerald Van Woerkom,
sponsors of the legislation.

The measures will put existing requirements into law for the Michigan
Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program, which is an innovative,
proactive, performance-based strategy that helps farms of all sizes and
types prevent or minimize agricultural pollution risks.  The bills
will
also increase enforcement actions for violators.

â??This legislation has been requested by constituents and local
officials in my district,â?? said Brown, R-Fawn River Township.
â??Most
farms, large and small, are good stewards of our stateâ??s natural
resources.  We must make sure that the few who violate the law are
not
given additional opportunities to pollute.  Those found guilty of
polluting our environment, whether businesses or individuals, should be
punished to the fullest extent of the
law.â??

Under the legislation, some large animal farms will still be required
to obtain a National Pollution Discharge Elimination System permit,
including all operations with more than 5,000 animal units and all
operations that have had a discharge.  All livestock facilities
between
1,000 to 5,000 animal units, however, can either be compliant with MAEAP
or attain a permit from the Department of Environmental Quality.

â??These bills will not weaken state regulation of large animal
operations; they will strengthen requirements to increase protection of
our natural resources,â?? said Van Woerkom, R-Norton Shores, chair of
the Senate Agriculture Committee.  â??MAEAP requirements will not
be
voluntary for the farms.  They must become either MAEAP verified or
obtain a permit.  If they choose MAEAP verification, they must meet
its
requirements.â??

On average, the 200 large animal operations in Michigan employ 10 to 20
workers at each facility.  About seven other jobs are created as a
result of each of these positions, such as truck drivers or seed
salesmen, within Michigan communities across the
state.

â??The large livestock operations in Michigan hire thousands of state
residents,â?? Van Woerkom said.  â??We have lost enough jobs in
Michigan.  We must help farms use sound practices that will benefit
the
economy and environment.â??

Senate Bills 447-448, 501 and 503-504 will strengthen current laws
governing large livestock producers by:
â?? Ensuring annual inspections of all large livestock facilities;
â?? Increasing penalties for bad actors in the livestock sector;
â?? Creating a construction certification program for new and expanding
large livestock operations;
â?? Increasing competitiveness for Michigan livestock farmers by
providing long-term regulatory certainty;
â?? Requiring operations to implement strategies that reduce odor;
â?? Requiring the revocation of MAEAP verification and application for
a permit if a livestock facility has a discharge;
â?? Providing incentives for small farms to become MAEAP verified;
â?? Regulating commercial manure haulers; and
â?? Authorizing a pathogen study and establishing a pathogen reduction
advisory council.

The legislation has received support from many organizations, including
the Michigan Farm Bureau, Greenstone Farm Credit Services, Michigan Milk
Producers Association and Michigan Corn Growers Associations, just to
name a few.

Agriculture is Michiganâ??s second largest industry valued at more than
$60.1 billion.  Michigan is second in the nation for agricultural
diversity and exports one-third of its 200 agricultural commodities
every year.

â??The agricultural industry employs locals and makes capital
investments,â?? Brown said.  â??Instead of criticizing producers,
we
should take steps to protect those who are preserving our environment
and investing in local communities.â??

The bills have been sent to the House for consideration.

###

==========================================Alex J. Sagady & Associates        http://www.sagady.com

Prospectus at:  http://www.sagady.com/sagady.pdf

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com