E-M:/ Media Release: LCV Hails Senate Passage of Energy Bill

Enviro-Mich message from Brian Beauchamp <brian@michiganlcv.org>

*FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE* * Contact:* David Sandretti, (202) 785-8683
June 22, 2007 david_sandretti@lcv.org

*LCV Hails Senate Passage of Energy Bill*

   Legislation is First Step Toward Changing America’s Energy
   * *
   Washington, D.C.- League of Conservation Voters President Gene
   Karpinski issued the following statement in reaction to Senate
   passage of energy bill:

   “The passage of this bill is an important first step toward changing
   America’s energy future. This bill will help reduce our reliance on
   oil and cut global warming pollution by dramatically improving the
   fuel efficiency for cars and trucks to 35 miles per gallon by 2020.
   It also includes important energy efficiency and clean energy
   provisions.

   “Unfortunately the bill does not include a renewable electricity
   standard nor does it repeal taxpayer giveaways to the oil industry
   that could have funded more dramatic investments in clean, renewable
   energy. We hope that these provisions will be addressed as the bill
   moves forward.

   “With this bill the Senate has made a down payment on its promise
   toward our goal of addressing global warming pollution. To help pass
   this bill LCV Board Members fanned out across the Capitol yesterday
   and tens of thousands of activists from around the country made
   their voices heard. We are committed to working with Congress to
   pass an energy bill that reduces global warming, saves consumers
   money on their energy bills and creates jobs. And thanks to the
   commitment of the Leadership of both the House and the Senate, we
   also look forward to passing major new legislation to reverse global
   warming pollution when it comes before the Congress later this year.”

   ###
   /The nonprofit League of Conservation Voters (LCV) is the
   independent political voice for the environment./
   / To secure the environmental future of our planet, LCV's mission is
   to advocate for sound environmental policies/
   /and to elect pro-environmental candidates who will adopt and
   implement such policies. /
   /For more information, please visit us on the web at www.lcv.org./