E-M:/ Open digital standards

Environmental awareness and action depend increasingly on unfettered digital communication, and special interests (particularly Microsoft) are increasingly are trying to get this under their control for their profit. This is especially true for communications, but it also applies to documents. We seem to be in a period of active information suppression by our top elected officials, and it could easily get worse if they can interfere with digital communications. You may remember that the Bush administration essentially let Microsoft (big $ donors) off the hook after their monopoly conviction.

There is a small community fighting for open digital standards, and they have an online petition at:
<http://www.noooxml.org/petition>

This movement is much stronger overseas than in the US, which means we will probably not be major players in the future. A very strong start is represented by Open Office (<http://www.openoffice.org/>) which does what MS Office does, but it is free, and I think better.