E-M:/ Minnesota.other states take lead on climate

Good article from the Star Tribune at http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1279483.html -- If Michigan has any hope of competing in this new energy economy, sounds like we need to get our bicycles in gear and start pedaling hard:

StarTribune.com

Minnesota, other states take lead on climate

With Congress and Bush at odds on global warming, innovations are more local.

Last update: July 01, 2007 – 11:43 PM

In the race among states to do something about the warming planet, Minnesota legislators this spring voted to reduce carbon dioxide pollution, ordered power companies to conserve more energy and adopted the nation's most aggressive goals for switching to wind power and other renewable energy.

But when it comes to tackling what Gov. Tim Pawlenty called a "huge and defining issue for our time," it's getting tough to stay ahead of the pack.

While Congress and the president remain at odds over global warming, at least 15 states have set goals to reduce the emissions of greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, which are piped into the air from power plants and cars. Twenty-six states have established targets for getting power from renewable energy sources. And most have done so within the past year or two.

-SNIP-

Anne M. Woiwode, State Director, Sierra Club Michigan Chapter  - 109 E. Grand River Avenue, Lansing, MI 48906

517-484-2372    fax 517-484-3108 -- anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org

Sierra Club Michigan Chapter celebrating our 40th Anniversary on September 9, 2007

Visit us at http://michigan.sierraclub.org/index.shtml

Act Today: Join our Legislative Alerts System! http://mackinac.sierraclubaction.org

Act FOR Tomorrow: Support the Sierra Club Michigan Chapter - contact Wendi Tilden at wendi.tilden@sierraclub.org