Re: E-M:/ Knight Center Env Journalist Training- story by Lawrence Cosentino in City Pulse

Enviro-Mich message from "Mark Richardson" <Mark.Richardson@macombcountymi.gov>

Anne:  Thanks for sharing this article.  Its so easy to be cynical.  This story reminded me that in journalism, as in law, medicine, teaching and other professions, many (probably most) people take their jobs seriously and try to do the very best they can, often under morale-destroying circumstances.

>>> "Anne Woiwode" <Anne.Woiwode@sierraclub.org> 7/6/2007 10:19 AM >>>
I want to say a very public thanks to Dave Poulson and Jim Detjen at the
Knight Center for Environmental Journalism for their work to educate
reporters of all sorts about the range of issues they will come across daily
that have to do with the environment.  Lawrence Cosentino of the Lansing
City Pulse participated in the recent training and wrote a wonderful piece
about this experience and the integral nature of environmental issues to
much of today's news.  AW

Taking notes from a dragonfly larva: Great Lakes environmental journalists
soak in their subject

<http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=emailfor
m&id=1170&itemid=29> E-mail

Written by Lawrence Cosentino

Thursday, 05 July 2007

Understanding environmental  science and politics in the Great Lakes is like
trying to hang on to a writhing sea lamprey. When you finally get a grip,
it's a strangely satisfying but temporary sensation.

Last week, I trundled off to northern Michigan with 23 other print and
broadcast journalists on a four-day training junket put together by MSU's
Knight Center for Environmental Journalism. Forget the cliché of the jaded,
deadpan journalist. All week, we rolled like a pack of overstimulated
squirrels in the diverse array of environmental issues facing the Great
Lakes region.

The Knight Center and its director, Jim Detjen, have held these training
institutes each year since 1996. Over 200 journalists have gone through the
program thus far, and each trip has had its own flavor.

This year's trip, Knight Center associate director Dave Poulson told us,
would be very "science-y." I'm still picking the thistles out of my socks.

For four days, including three at the University of Michigan's Biological
Research

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/index.php?option=com_content
<http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1
170&Itemid=29> &task=view&id=1170&Itemid=29

Anne M. Woiwode, State Director, Sierra Club Michigan Chapter  - 109 E.
Grand River Avenue, Lansing, MI 48906

517-484-2372    fax 517-484-3108 --  <mailto:anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org>
anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org

Sierra Club Michigan Chapter celebrating our 40th Anniversary on September
9, 2007

Visit us at  <http://michigan.sierraclub.org/index.shtml>
http://michigan.sierraclub.org/index.shtml

Act Today: Join our Legislative Alerts System!
http://mackinac.sierraclubaction.org

Act FOR Tomorrow: Support the Sierra Club Michigan Chapter - contact Wendi
Tilden at wendi.tilden@sierraclub.org