E-M:/ "States urged to adopt climate change policies" - LSJ

It is nice to see that addressing climate change is a bi-partisan issue among some of the Governors meeting in Traverse City this week:

* States urged to adopt climate change policies Lansing State Journal

  States have developed creative approaches to challenges such as education and health care. They should do likewise with climate change, despite their widely differing economic interests, governors said Saturday.

SNIP

“No individual state is going to solve the climate change problem, but we can do our part,” Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty said. “In the absence of national or international consensus or progress, we have the opportunity to show the way.”

SNIP

“With the states taking action, even if you don’t have 100 percent of America you can have 40 or 50 percent or more and that’s a good start,” Pennsylvania Gov. Edward Rendell said. “We can’t just wait around for the federal government.”

Pawlenty, a Republican beginning a yearlong term Monday as chairman of the governors association, said the states should redouble efforts to limit carbon emissions and develop renewable energy sources.

SNIP

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070722/NEWS01/70722001/1001/news

Anne M. Woiwode, State Director, Sierra Club Michigan Chapter  - 109 E. Grand River Avenue, Lansing, MI 48906

517-484-2372    fax 517-484-3108 -- anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org

Sierra Club Michigan Chapter celebrating our 40th Anniversary on September 9, 2007

Visit us at http://michigan.sierraclub.org/index.shtml

Act Today: Join our Legislative Alerts System! http://mackinac.sierraclubaction.org

Act FOR Tomorrow: Support the Sierra Club Michigan Chapter - contact Wendi Tilden at wendi.tilden@sierraclub.org