E-M:/ Michigan Nature Association Needs Your Help

The Michigan Nature Association’s three-year, $3 million Statewide Land Protection Campaign concludes on July 31 and we still need several thousand dollars to achieve our goal.  We want Enviro-Mich readers to have the chance to help:

1)      send your contribution or pledge to MNA, 326 E. Grand River Ave., Williamston MI 48895 or visit us online (www.michigannature.org);

2)     share this e-mail message with friends and acquaintances so they can support the campaign.

Time is running out!

The Statewide Land Protection Campaign – the largest endeavor of its kind in MNA’s 55-year history – was launched in 2004 so that we could acquire and protect 10 unique natural areas (five in the Upper Peninsula and five in the Lower Peninsula) that are home to many rare and threatened plants and animals.

In addition to an expansion of Estivant Pines in the Keweenaw Peninsula – one of our best-known and most loved nature sanctuaries – the special campaign properties include:

  • Black Creek, with 200 vulnerable feet of Lake Superior shoreline
  • Petite Wetland in rapidly-growing southeast Michigan
  • Big Valley in Oakland County
  • Williamston-Red Cedar River Floodplain
  • Stratton Memorial in the eastern Upper Peninsula
  • Martin Bay, located on the Stonington Peninsula in the Upper Peninsula
  • Robert T. Brown Environmental Education Center in Houghton County
  • Morgan-Porritt, a unique cedar wetland in northern Oakland County
  • Sharon Rose Leonatti Memorial in St. Clair County – home to the painted trillium, found in just six locations in Michigan.

How many opportunities do we get to leave our mark on so many special places with a single check or pledge?

The Michigan Nature Association has over five decades of experience preserving Michigan’s natural areas.  Our familiarity with rare habitats, endangered plants and animals, and invasive species control means we have what it takes to make these areas thrive.

The Carls and Kresge Foundations have offered challenge grants if we achieve our fundraising goal.  Your contribution will be leveraged – another reason to support this campaign….

Please help us preserve these unparalleled natural resources for future generations – and please ask your friends and colleagues to join you.  We need to hear from you now.  Click on www.michigannature.org or call (517) 655-5655 today.  Thanks.

The nonprofit, state-based Michigan Nature Association was founded in 1952 to conserve Michigan’s unique natural habitats and rare or endangered plant and animal species.  With the help of our members and supporters, we currently protect over 8,500 acres of forests, prairies, wetlands and other native habitats at 164 nature sanctuaries in 54 counties throughout the state, along with over 85 percent of all native plant species and a majority of native animal species in Michigan.

Patrick Diehl

Development Director

Michigan Nature Association

326 East Grand River Avenue

Williamston, MI 48895

517-655-5655

517-655-5506 fax

pdiehl@michigannature.org

The Michigan Nature Association: Conserving Michigan’s unique plants, animals and habitats since 1952

Visit our website at www.michigannature.org