E-M:/ BP Dumping in Lake Michigan

Environment Michigan, along with our sister organizations in Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania just sent this out to all of our members…

For all the talking that British Petroleum does about being a company that is moving "beyond petroleum" they certainly aren't beyond polluting our Great Lakes.

BP is expanding their oil refinery in Whiting, IN at a cost of $3.8 billion, but somehow can't find a place to build a water treatment facility to deal with the increased waste. Instead they got approval from Indiana regulators to dump up to 1,500 more pounds of ammonia and 5,000 more pounds of toxic sludge daily into Lake Michigan. Ammonia acts as a catalyst for fish-killing algae blooms and the plant's sludge is chock-full of concentrated mercury, selenium, and other toxic heavy metals.

This is unacceptable. To stop BP's plan, we at Environment Michigan are joining with other groups around the Great Lakes region in a campaign called "Beyond Preposterous." Our first step is to let EPA Regional Administrator Mary Gade know that Michiganders won't stand for more toxic dumping in Lake Michigan, and that she should stop the permits BP has received.

To sign the petition today, click on the link below or copy and paste it into your web browser:

https://www.environmentmichigan.org/action/protect-lake-michigan/petition-epa?id4=ES

Then forward this email along to your friends and family!

Sincerely,

Mike Shriberg

Environment Michigan Director

MikeS@environmentmichigan.org

http://www.environmentmichigan.org

P.S.  Thanks again for your support.  Please feel free to share this e-mail with your family and friends.

Abby Rubley

Field Director

Environment Michigan

103 E. Liberty St.   Ste. 202