E-M:/ RE: / A Grand Idea - Grand River Cleanup planning / Slideshow available!

Rare is the occasion that controversy is not prevalent in the course of considering a dam removal. Research carried out by Public Sector Consultants suggests that

improving fish passage and natural reproduction and considering selective dam removal is limited primarily by the following:

n      Lack of understanding and knowledge at the local level of the value and type of ecological restoration techniques now possible

n      Lack of public support for dam removal as a viable tool for river restoration

n      Decisions on dam removal are often made with incomplete and inaccurate information in emotionally charged and divisive atmospheres

n      Lack of financial resources to achieve desirable fish passage techniques, including dam removal

Below is a link to a recent report from the Michigan River Partnership (MRP) titled, "The Growing Crisis of Aging Dams: Policy Considerations and Recommendations for Michigan Policy Makers." The MRP is a broad-based coalition of government and nongovernment partners formed in 2004 to:

n      Assess opportunities to facilitate dam removal on Michigan rivers

n      Highlight the need to repair dams that are not candidates for removal

n      Provide dam owners, opinion leaders, and other stakeholders with the information necessary to optimize decision-making processes at the local level

n      Underscore the need for dedicated funding to address emerging challenges posed by aging dams

http://www.pscinc.com/Documents/mrp/aging_dams/index.htm

If you have any questions about the report, feel free to contact me at 517-371-7461.

Regards,

Mark Coscarelli
Public Sector Consultants