[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ Gov. Milliken criticizes Supreme Court MEPA ruling
- Subject: E-M:/ Gov. Milliken criticizes Supreme Court MEPA ruling
- From: Dave Dempsey <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 07:25:29 -0400
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- List-name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-to: Dave Dempsey <email@example.com>
To former Michigan Gov. William Milliken,
"anyone" means "anyone."
That's why Michigan's Environmental Protection Act
-- initiated by a group of Grand Rapids environmentalists,
written by a University of Michigan law professor,
overwhelmingly passed by the Michigan Legislature and signed
by Milliken 37 years ago -- included that word, giving
anyone the right to sue over damage to the state's
water, air or land, he said.
But Michigan's Supreme Court struck down that provision
July 25, saying only those who can prove they were directly
harmed have a right to sue.
Milliken called the decision "a major setback for the