Re: E-M:/ Gov. Milliken criticizes Supreme Court MEPA ruling

In other words, the supreme court is not telling us that we can no longer protect others from harm.  We must let them be harmed, even though we can see that they are being wronged.  Whatever became of  "I am my brother's keeper."
Delavan Sipes
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2007 7:25 AM
Subject: E-M:/ Gov. Milliken criticizes Supreme Court MEPA ruling

To former Michigan Gov. William Milliken, "anyone" means "anyone."
That's why Michigan's Environmental Protection Act -- initiated by a group of Grand Rapids environmentalists, written by a University of Michigan law professor, overwhelmingly passed by the Michigan Legislature and signed by Milliken 37 years ago -- included that word, giving anyone the right to sue over damage to the state's water, air or land, he said.
But Michigan's Supreme Court struck down that provision July 25, saying only those who can prove they were directly harmed have a right to sue.
Milliken called the decision "a major setback for the environment."

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-37/1186294734278530.xml&coll=6