E-M:/ July Winners of Great Lakes Story and Photo Contest Announced

Coalition Announces July Winners of Great Lakes Story & Photo Contest

Contest to Run through August 20

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (August 7)—Landing the “Big One.” A watery game of tag with man’s best friend. A father-daughter friendship defined by adventures along the Great Lakes.

These are some of the subjects of the winning entries for the month of July in the Great Lakes Story and Photo Contest.

“The entries illustrate how important the Great Lakes are to people,” said Jeff Skelding, national campaign director of the Healing Our Waters-Great Lakes Coalition, sponsor of the contest. “The Great Lakes have defined the lives and memories of millions of people, and we applaud all of the people who have shared their stories and pictures.”

All of the winning entries can be found online at: http://www.healthylakes.org/

In the photo contest:

Ed Peterson from Sugar Grove, Ill., captures a chase between son and dog, at: http://www.healthylakes.org/activities/swimming/2007/07/20/a-chase-in-lake-michigan

Jane Solow from Grand Rapids, Mich., shot her daughter and granddaughter fishing:

http://www.healthylakes.org/activities/fishing-hunting/2007/07/16/fishing-off-the-dock-of-the-bay

Brian Lisek from La Grange Park, Ill., captures the pure joy of the beach at: http://www.healthylakes.org/stories/photograph/2007/07/12/fun-and-laughter-on-the-beach

In the children’s category, Brigid from Oak Park, Ill., sends some toes in the water:

http://www.healthylakes.org/stories/photograph/2007/07/20/water-tickling-some-little-toes

In the story contest, the fishing division featured two winners:

Diane Neese from Manhattan, Ill., took first place for her amusing, “Me and My Bass.”

http://www.healthylakes.org/activities/fishing-hunting/2007/07/06/me-and-my-bass

While Paul Lender from Willowick, Ohio, did not miss out with his “First Catch.”

http://www.healthylakes.org/stories/fishing/2007/07/17/first-catch

The children’s category featured some sage advice from Hayden from Rockford, Mich.

http://www.healthylakes.org/stories/fishing/2007/07/02/a-fishermans-advice

Camping winner of the month, Kathy Noskey from Lowell, Mich., tells us about an experience that she will never forget in “Experience of My Life.”

http://www.healthylakes.org/stories/camping/2007/07/09/experience-of-my-life

In the children’s category, Bonnie of Rockford, Mich., wins for her “Camping at the Beach.”

http://www.healthylakes.org/activities/camping/2007/07/02/camping-at-the-beach

The general story category has two winners:

Crystal A. Proxmire from Royal Oak, Mich., took first place with her story, “Waves,” about her friendship with her dad and their fondness of the Great Lakes:

http://www.healthylakes.org/stories/general/2007/07/20/waves

Ann Joachim from Oak Park, Ill., also placed with her story, “Wild River Flowing.”

http://www.healthylakes.org/stories/general/2007/07/12/wild-river-flowing

In the children’s category, Sarah from Clarendon Hills, Ill., was selected for her story,

“A Great Lake,” about mentoring her younger sister while having fun at the beach.

http://www.healthylakes.org/stories/general/2007/07/12/a-great-lake

Some categories featured more than one prize due to leftover prizes from the previous month, which were not awarded because some categories did not receive any entries.

The contest seeks to inspire people of all ages to submit their stories and photos for a chance to win prizes. The contest awards prizes in four contest categories:

-General story

-Fishing story

-Camping story

-Photo

The contest three awards per category, as defined by the following age groups:

-Child (K-8th grade)

-High school student (9-12th grade)

-Adult

Corporate sponsors include Meijer and REI. Educational sponsors include the Akron Zoo, Chicago Zoological Society’s Brookfield Zoo, Discovery World at Pier Wisconsin, John Ball Zoo, and Shedd Aquarium.

Entry guidelines and rules can be found by visiting www.healthylakes.org, or by mailing a request to: Great Lakes Story & Photo Contest, National Wildlife Federation, 213 W. Liberty St., Suite 200, Ann Arbor, MI, 48104.

The Healthy Lakes, Healthy Lives Campaign is directed by the Healing Our Waters®-Great Lakes Coalition. The coalition consists of more than 90 zoos, aquariums, museums, and hunting, fishing, and environmental organizations representing millions of people, whose common goal is to restore and protect the Great Lakes.

For more information, visit http://www.healthylakes.org/

Immediate Release:

August 7, 2007

Contact: