RE: E-M:/ I just caught this on the Gristmill...

Dear Dave:

I'm not sure that anyone has thanked you for continuing to
participate on Enviro-Mich with thoughtful and informative
commentary, news items and contributions
even though you have moved far away to
Minnesota....so I'll do it publicly here.

Regards,

Alex Sagady
EM Listmanager
Volunteer, Sierra Club Michigan Chapter

At 05:02 PM 08/27/2007, Dave Dempsey wrote:
>With all due respect to Dr. Keith Harrison, now an advisor to the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, MESB has played no useful role since its creation. The potential was there, but the current Administration never found a place for it and the Engler Administration sometimes deployed it to protect the status quo or to prevent more protective environmental standards.
>
>The most egregious example of this was when the Ecology Center and Michigan Environmental Council were successful in getting the legislature to direct MESB to consider the adequacy of environmental standards to protect public health. The majority of the panel said no; but the two pediatricians on the panel strongly dissented and urged more protective standards.
>
>That report is here:
>
>http://www.michigan.gov/mesb/1,1607,7-117-1254_14230_0-7513--,00.html
>
>The two-page minority statement is p. 24-25.
>
>To call the panel "independent" is a bit of a stretch. Appointments made by Gov. Engler to the panel included some scientists with outstanding reputations, but the philosophical approach of the majority was to challenge the need for more strict environmental standards, consistent with Gov. Engler's approach to these issues.
>
>Dr. Harrison's recent op-ed on the MESB is here:
>
>http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID=8794

>Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:26:23 -0400
>From: ebaerren@gmail.com
>To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
>Subject: E-M:/ I just caught this on the Gristmill...
>
>The governor axed a science advisory board?
>
><http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/8/25/102629/317>http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2007/8/25/102629/317
>
>Does anyone know what this is about, or why she did it?

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com