From: Larry Nooden <ldnum@umich.edu>
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Sent: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:20 am
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Out of state trash/Granholm/waste incineration

Enviro-Mich message from Larry Nooden <ldnum@umich.edu

Governor Granholm was in Sweden this summer, and I am sure she was impressed with their handling of wastes (e.g., extracting energy); however, there is a key difference. Our wastes are loaded with plastics and other things that yield toxic products when combusted.

Many US plastic products, especially those offgas volatile toxins, were banned in Europe a year or so ago.

It is arrogant to think we can not learn from them.