From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Larry Nooden
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:21 AM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Out of state trash/Granholm/waste incineration

Governor Granholm was in Sweden this summer, and I am sure she was impressed
with their handling of wastes (e.g., extracting energy); however, there is a
key difference.  Our wastes are loaded with plastics and other things that
yield toxic products when combusted.

Many US plastic products, especially those offgas volatile toxins, were
banned in Europe a year or so ago.

It is arrogant to think we can not learn from them.

--On Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:20 AM -0400 "Alex J. Sagady & Associates"
<ajs@sagady.com> wrote:

> --- Enviro-Mich message from "Alex J. Sagady & Associates"
> <ajs@sagady.com>
> ---
>
> On Michigan Public Radio Tuesday evening it was mentioned about how
> Governor Granholm thinks out of state trash coming into Michigan can
> be turned into an advantage for Michigan because is can be subjected
> to waste-to-energy treatment like in Sweden.
>
> Assuming this was a correct rendition of what she said, I've really
> got to wonder about the kind of advice Granholm has been getting.
>
> Is it possible that Granholm is/was totally oblivious to the entire
> Detroit Incinerator debacle?   From the standpoint of airborne toxicants,
> trash combustion is one of the worst fuels you can use.   And the
> economics of trash to energy have also been fairly disastrous for
> Detroit.   Why would other states pay high tipping fees at MSW
> incinerators when they can dump more cheaply in Michigan landfills?

> Alex J. Sagady & Associates        http://www.sagady.com
>
> Environmental Enforcement, Permit/Technical Review, Public Policy,
> Expert Witness Review and Litigation Investigation on Air, Water and
> Waste/Community Environmental and Resource Protection Prospectus at:
> http://www.sagady.com/sagady.pdf
>
> 657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
> (517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com

> enviro-mich"

enviro-mich"