RE: E-M:/ Out of state trash/Granholm/waste incineration

The question of possible toxics in the trash combusted in Sweden is something that people there are very aware of/concerned about, and my impression from family members (nonchemists) there is that they have gotten that under control in recent times.

The residual contaminants in the Baltic are probably older. As far as wind-born contaminants are concerned, most of that falling onto the S half of Sweden anyhow comes up from Germany and central Europe. Several decades ago, Germany paid enormous reparations for the acid rain that killed fish in Sweden, and huge fallouts of nitrogen (8 kg/ha) are still occurring in a relatively low N environment. I would have to check my weather maps at home, but I believe the prevailing winds further north (i.e., the Gulf of Bothnia) come from the east (that's why they were hit so hard by the Chernoble fallout).