E-M:/ IL Electric Rate Deal Contains Major New Clean Energy Provisions

Enviro-Mich message from "Anne Woiwode" <Anne.Woiwode@sierraclub.org>

Michigan needs to recognize that standing still or passing weak provisions
for renewable electric sources means others are leaving us in their dust --
see below from Illinois -- Anne Woiwode

SIERRA CLUB STATEMENT ON

CLEAN ENERGY PROVISIONS OF

ELECTRIC RATE DEAL

SIGNED BY GOV. BLAGOJEVICH

Statement of Jack Darin, Director

Sierra Club, Illinois Chapter

August 28, 2007

"The major new clean energy programs signed into law today by Governor
Blagojevich are two major steps forward toward a cleaner, safer, and more
affordable energy future for Illinois.   After decades of dealing with the
pollution and cost of relying solely on dirty coal and nuclear power,
Illinois is now a national leader in promoting clean, renewable energy, and
in helping consumer and businesses cut their electric bills by using less
power.

The new requirement that 25% of Illinois' electricity will come from
renewable sources by the year 2025 will create new jobs in a pollution-free
power industry.    At the same time, utilities, the State of Illinois, and
local governments will begin major new programs to reduce existing power
use.   By 2015, these programs are to cut existing power use 2% below
today's levels.   These conservation programs will deliver savings each and
every month as our homes and businesses use less power.   They will also
create high-paying jobs in a clean, new energy economy.

By using less power overall, and by getting more and more of it from
pollution-free sources like wind, Illinois is also taking two big steps to
reducing our contribution to global warming.   Scientists tell us that we
need to reduce pollution by 80% to solve global warming, and that energy
efficiency and renewable energy are the two most effective strategies for
reaching these goals.

Historically, Illinois has lagged behind in implementing smart energy
policies.   Today, we move from the back of the pack to the head of the
class in implementing smart energy policies for the future.   This is one
area where our leaders have agreed on major changes that are the right
choices for Illiniosans today, and for our future."