Re: E-M:/ RE: / Out of state trash/Granholm/waste incineration

This is a good point, but in the specific case of Sweden, the main facilities (tall stacks, etc) that I see and the stuff (plastics)heading there suggest direct combustion. The readily biodegradable material goes separately. I will try to find time to investigate next year.

They also grow and harvest increasing amounts of willow bushes for energy. I am always impressed by that.

--On Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:59 AM -0400 Julie Metty Bennett <jmetty@pscinc.com> wrote:

Enviro-Mich message from "Julie Metty Bennett" <jmetty@pscinc.com>

Capturing energy from waste doesn't have to involve combustion. I think
she was talking about landfill gas recovery.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of Alex J. Sagady &
Associates
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 1:20 AM
To: enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
Subject: E-M:/ Out of state trash/Granholm/waste incineration

-

On Michigan Public Radio Tuesday evening it was mentioned about how
Governor Granholm thinks out of state trash coming into Michigan can be
turned into an advantage for Michigan because is can be subjected to
waste-to-energy treatment like in Sweden.

Assuming this was a correct rendition of what she said, I've really got
to wonder about the kind of advice Granholm has been getting.

Is it possible that Granholm is/was totally oblivious to the entire
Detroit Incinerator debacle?   From the standpoint of airborne
toxicants,
trash combustion is one of the worst fuels you can use.   And the
economics of trash to energy have also been fairly disastrous for
Detroit.   Why would other states pay high tipping fees at MSW
incinerators when they can dump more cheaply in Michigan landfills?

========================================== Alex J. Sagady & Associates http://www.sagady.com

Waste/Community Environmental and Resource Protection Prospectus at:
http://www.sagady.com/sagady.pdf

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com

enviro-mich"

Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental and Conservation
Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action.   Archives at