Re: E-M:/ Trash (and much more) Gasification......Re: Out of state trash/Granholm/waste incineration

In a message dated 8/30/07 2:03:39 AM, ajs@sagady.com writes:

I'm not sure, however, that encouraging trash importation to Michigan
because we would ultimately have trash gasification plants as the
recent press spin on Granholm's recent announcement really passes
the "sniff test.".....especially if a tipping fee is charged that is any
higher than common landfill disposal tipping fees.

To that last point, a preliminary evaluation that we conducted recently found that a gasification plant in southeast Michigan using MSW would require at least a $40/ton tip fee even after accounting for the value of the energy generated.  Landfill costs in the Detroit metro area are 25% to 50% of that cost.

Michael J. Csapo
General Manager
Resource Recovery and Recycling Authority of Southwest Oakland County
20000 W. 8 Mile Rd.
Southfield, MI 48075
RRRASOC@aol.com
www.RRRASOC.org