Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 10:01 AM
Subject: Lafarge Spent Broth

Ok Mark, I got the full story on the spent broth that Lafarge will be injecting into the kilns.  It comes from the Dow Agri-Sciences facility in Harbor Beach (formerly Monsanto).  The material is water and dead bacteria that are used in making an organic pesticide for killing certain types of flies.

The bacteria were orginally discovered in Jamacia at rum distilleries.  There were never any flies at these facilities and they didn't know why.   Researchers finally discovered a certain bacteria at the distilleries that excreted a natural pesticide that killed the flies.  Dow commercialized the process of producing the natural material from the bacteria.

The spent both is nothing more than dead bateria and water.  The dead bacteria, since they are carbon based provide the BTU value in the liquid.  The pesticide itself has won numerous environmental awards for its natural base, selectivity (it does not kill bees or butterflies), and effectiveness.

I will still pull a sample, just to satisfy my own curiousity, but this sounds like a good thing.  Dow had been applying it to farm fields, solidifying the rest, and landfilling it.  They produce more than the farm fields can take.   The land application of the material was approved by both the Department of Agriculture and DEQ's Waste and Hazardous Materials Division.  Using the broth in the kilns will save Dow a lot of money in landfill costs; reduce landfill usage; provide some BTU value to Lafarge's use of the water; and lower NOx emissions.  Lafarge will be testing it initially, to see if it works in their process and if so, will replace city water with the broth.  I hope that answers your questions, if there is anything else let me know.   Once I get sample result back, I'll be glad to share the results with you.  Mark.

Mark W. Stephens
Air Quality Division
Gaylord Field Office
2100 W. M-32