Re: E-M:/ Jeff Kart - environmental journalism

At 04:34 PM 09/07/2007, HAMILTREEF@aol.com wrote:
>We need to express a "Thank you" to Jeff Kart for his talents and help covering environmental topics.
>
><http://www.mlive.com/news/bctimes/index.ssf?/base/news-10/1189178213152150.xml&coll=4>environmental journalism

I have to "second" HAMILTREEF's accolade to journalist, Jeff Kart

While the national mainstream media does a terrible job at
just about everything these days, it is really great that local and regional
journalists like Jeff are still around to carry forward traditional values of
journalism with Jeff's particular specialty on covering the environment....notably
for a newspaper, the Bay City Times, which seems to have a really great commitment
to doing so for the last several decades.

I've had numerous communication exchanges with Jeff and he is distinguished
by how intensively he likes to engage the details of environmental issues
he covers.

Recently, Jeff and I had a long telephone conference having fun pouring over NASA
MODIS  satellite imagery of Saginaw Bay algae...that ultimately ended up on
the front page in color of the Times.

I'm hoping that some students on EM will be inspired by his work and
seek to follow in his footsteps...

Congratulations on your award, Jeff!!

Regards,

Alex Sagady

>Times writer Jeff Kart has been selected as the second-place recipient of a 2007 Feinstone Environmental Award, a national honor for outstanding journalism.
>
>Kart, who covers the environment and politics for The Times, was chosen for his efforts to educate the public with breaking news about environmental issues.
>
>''We're very gratified to get recognition for something we've singled out as a priority in our coverage,'' said Times Editor John Hiner. ''Since Jeff took the beat in 2003, he's made himself into one of the best environmental reporters in the country, and he's raised the level of awareness in our community to the many environmental challenges we face here.''
>
><http://www.mlive.com/news/bctimes/index.ssf?/base/news-10/1189178213152150.xml&coll=4>http://www.mlive.com/news/bctimes/index.ssf?/base/news-10/1189178213152150.xml&coll=4

>See what's new at <http://www.aol.com?NCID=AOLCMP00300000001170>AOL.com and <http://www.aol.com/mksplash.adp?NCID=AOLCMP00300000001169>Make AOL Your Homepage.

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com