E-M:/ Sulfide Soiree in Traverse City Friday

Enviro-Mich message from Jim Dulzo <JimDulzo@mlui.org>

Dear friend,

Six Traverse City-based organizations are holding a FREE after-work
gathering, complete with live music and a cash bar, to support our U.P.
friends who are trying to stop the state from allowing mining for copper and
nickel embedded in sulfide beneath the Salmon Trout River, near Marquette.

Our sulfide soiree starts at 5:30 Friday night, Sept. 28, at The Hagerty
Center, on East Front Street by the bay, in TC. There will be a DVD produced
by Save the Wild U.P., a group leading the charge against the proposal; a
few speakers making brief remarks; tunes from Josh Davis, leader of the
popular band, Steppin' In It; lots of friendly people; and a cash bar.

We'll have form letters about the permit application that you can
personalize and send to the Department of Environmental Quality. You can
scoot early--probably before 7 p.m.--to enjoy the rest of your Friday night.

If you'd like to download our event flyer to give to a friend or post
somewhere, visit www.mlui.org and click on the top banner, which says "Lake
Superior Needs You!"

And we invite you to check our two news recent articles about the issue.

The first describes what Kennecott Copper is proposing and why many
environmental groups that worked on new rules for sulfide mining were
shocked to learn that the DEQ was considering allowing mining under a river:

http://mlui.org/landwater/fullarticle.asp?fileid=17191

The second article recounts the U.P. promotional campaign and Lansing
lobbying that Kennecott mounted to win approval:

http://mlui.org/landwater/fullarticle.asp?fileid=17193

Thanks so much,

Jim Dulzo
Managing Editor