E-M:/ Mountaintop Removal: Slide show/talk tonight at MSU

Please share!!

In the second in a series of talks celebrating the UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development, 2005-2014, Michigan State University Office of Campus Sustainability and other sponsors are pleased to welcome Dave Cooper http://mountainroadshow.com/bios/, spokesman for the Kentuckians for the Commonwealth as he shares the Appalachian experience of living with mountaintop removal.

Thursday evening, September 27 at 7:30pm in 147 Communication Arts, Cooper will show slides and discuss the impacts of coal mining on the lives and ecology of Eastern Kentucky and the Appalachian region. Cooper is a former professional mechanical engineer, coalfield organizer turned activist to protect the region from the devastation that mountaintop removal leaves in its aftermath. The majority of electricity we use in Michigan comes from coal, much of it from this region. Learn about the unseen costs we bear responsibility for through our use of electricity.

This event is free and open to the public. The UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development is co-sponsored by : Residential Initiative for the Study of Environment, Sustainable Michigan Endowed Project, the College of Social Science, Residential College for Arts and Humanities, Knight Center for Environmental Journalism, Office of the Provost, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Center for Systems Integration and Sustainability, University Committee for a Sustainable Campus, and Michigan Student Sustainability Coalition.  For more information and list of upcoming speakers in the series visit

www.ecofoot.msu.edu

Terry Link, Director

Office of Campus Sustainability

Michigan State University