E-M:/ Shutting down Gov't: Who ya gonna call?

By Monday we may be forced to test the theory posited by some pundits and electeds that government is over-rated.  Who needs it?

So, think about “who ya gonna call?” when there is a pollution disaster in your neighborhood.  How’s about hydrogen sulfide from a sour gas well?  What about an overflowing toxic waste lagoon spilling into the lake?  And what about spills on the highways that drain into drinking water sources?   Maybe an ammonia leak near a school  -- oh, maybe the schools will not be open for long anyway.

State government IS shutting down.  We hear that legislative staff have been told that they should not expect to show up Monday.  Emergency meetings in the Administration have been deciding how to shut it all down -- prisons are staying open, but not much else.

So when the lights and the voting board in the House and Senate Chambers get shut off for non-payment of electric bills, will they be able to buy a chalk board and chalk to keep track of votes?

Anne M. Woiwode, State Director, Sierra Club Michigan Chapter  - 109 E. Grand River Avenue, Lansing, MI 48906

517-484-2372    fax 517-484-3108 -- anne.woiwode@sierraclub.org

Sierra Club Michigan Chapter celebrating our 40th Anniversary on September 9, 2007

Visit us at http://michigan.sierraclub.org/index.shtml

Act Today: Join our Legislative Alerts System! http://mackinac.sierraclubaction.org

Act FOR Tomorrow: Support the Sierra Club Michigan Chapter - contact Wendi Tilden at wendi.tilden@sierraclub.org