E-M:/ Re: Who will be in charge? Who WILL we call?

Enviro-Mich message from "Robert McCann" <mccannr@michigan.gov>

Rita -

In the event of a shutdown, our Pollution Emergency Alerting System
will remain operational.  Environmental emergencies can be reported
through that system at 1-800-292-4706 as usual, however, we will have
very limited ability to respond to those reports.  This is obviously not
an ideal situation, but is one of the effects of a government shutdown.

Robert McCann
Press Secretary
Phone:  517-241-7397
Fax:  517-241-7401
Email: mccannr@michigan.gov

>>> "Rita Jack" <rita.jack@sierraclub.org> 9/28/2007 11:40 AM >>>
Michigan -

My friends in Lenawee County report major recent events at
www.nocafos.org
<http://www.nocafos.org/> .  Included is a PDF of the remarkable Sept
13 DEQ
letter indicating nobody's in charge at Vreba-Hoff and the operations
now
pose "a grave threat to public health and the environment.".

What I want to know is, as of Monday, with some huge portion of the
DEQ
staff laid off for some indeterminate time - WHO will be in charge
there to
deal with this grave threat to public health and the environment?

Robert McCann - can you please advise us who we should call in case of
an
environmental disaster?

-Rita

><><><><><>><><><><>

Rita Jack

Water Sentinels Project, Sierra Club Michigan Chapter

tel:  517-484-2372

Make all Michigan's waters fishable and swimmable.

  _____

www.nocafos.org
BULLETINS: Sept 26 - Attorney General's office orders Vreba-Hoff to
pay
$141,500 in penalties for multiple violations over the last two months;
also
orders removal of 350 cows.

Sept 13 - DEQ notes "Vreba-Hoff has allowed conditions to further
deteriorate to the point the Dairy Operations now pose a grave threat
public health and the environment." (see pdf of full DEQ letter
<http://www.nocafos.org/vh-9-13.pdf> )