E-M:/ Sierra Club SEMG Meeting Thu Oct 4th "Renewable Energy in Michigan" by Steve Smiley

Note: forwarded message attached.

--- Begin Message ---

Back to the Future: Renewable Energy in Michigan?
A Presentation by Steve Smiley, Great Lakes Renewable Resource Institute

Given the challenges and opportunities facing us as we grapple with the inevitable realities of peak oil and global warming, it is important that we begin to imagine a future in which Michigan has transitioned from an industry of automobiles to one of renewable energy production. Every day we inherit from the sun energy in the form of heat, light, wind, water and biomass. Most agree that Michigan needs to develop these renewable energy sources. Yet the question remains---can we build the necessary infrastructure in a timely and cost-effective manner in order to convert the state?s energy generation and distribution system? Please join us for a truly enlightening discussion of this most important topic by Steve Smiley, co-founder of the Great Lakes Renewable Resource Institute. Mr. Smiley is an energy economist and wind energy expert with 20 years experience in energy efficiency and wind & solar applications. In 1996 he assisted the Traverse City Light and Power in developing
 and implementing the green rate wind project, resulting in the installation of Michigan?s first commercial wind turbine. He is currently working on expanding commercial wind power for Michigan.

The Southeast MI group (SEMG) meets on the first Thursday of each month at the Northwest Unitarian-Universalist Church, 23925 Northwestern Hwy, Southfield, MI. The church is located along the southbound US10 service drive between 9 & 10 Mile. Our meetings begin with a potluck dinner at 630pm followed by a brief local club update at 730pm. The featured programs listed below begin at 8pm. All are welcome, members and non-members alike, so please consider bringing a friend! For more info, contact Carol Izant at (248)352-6137 or cogknot@yahoo.com.

If you do not wish to receive further email messages of this type, reply to gscicli@comcast.net and ask to be removed from this list.

Sierra Club
Member Services
85 Second Street