Re: E-M:/ Arctic Sea Ice in Retreat

Enviro-Mich message from Jessica Pociask <pociask1@msu.edu>

So the question is "why are the temperature increases higher at the poles?"... I apoligize in advance for how basic this answer is, but I am writing from Budapest (so it is 9:30pm), and have been tied to my computer all day long...

The earth's atomospher contains Ozone, which to a degree protects us from the suns harmful rays (UV) by allowing some sunlight in and then letting sunlight back out as it refracts off of the earth's surface. Manmade chemicals such as CFCs specifically contribute to the depletion of the Ozone. The cold climate/meterology in Antarctica and the Arctic, tends to isolate(trap) air over the region. When this occurs, the chemicals trapped in the air begin to rapidly deplete the Ozone, and let a greater proportion of the sun's rays in.. Unfortunately, the increase of Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere, then traps a greater proportion of heat in as it attempts to refract back into space. Although the lack of Ozone should release the trapped heat back out, the angle of the sun's rays prevent it from entering straight on, then bouncing directly back out. This heat trapping effect is then intensified due to the ice in the polar regions that acts as a mirror to bounce the heat off the earth's surface to the stratisphere (now full of greenhouse gases) and back down again, before it slowly disperses throughout earth's atmosphere.

Hope this helps!