E-M:/ Global Warming Coalition Letter

Environment Michigan along with a number of other organizations in Michigan and across the country are working to build a strong coalition of organizations, communities, churches, businesses, lawmakers, anyone else that supports strong science based legislation that will reduce our global warming pollution.  Right now we have over 600 signatures on the coalition letter signed onto the coalition.  Please let me know if you would like to be added to that list.  We will be delivering this letter to congress in the next month.

Thanks-

Abby Rubley

Environment Michigan

arubley@environmentmichigan.org

(734) 662-9797

Dear Member of Congress:

Global warming is one of the most serious threats our nation faces. To protect our children and future generations, we strongly urge you to support reducing global warming pollution by at least 15-20% from today’s levels by 2020 and by 80% by 2050.

The early effects of global warming are evident across the U.S. and worldwide. Among the many changes:

  • Sea ice is retreating in the Arctic, with a 20 percent decline in end-of-summer sea ice cover in 2005 compared with the 1978-2000 average;
  • Only 27 glaciers remain in Glacier National Park, less than one fifth of the approximately 150 glaciers that existed within the current park’s boundaries in 1850;
  • Spring snow melt in the Western U.S. is occurring up to four weeks earlier than it was in 1948, lowering stream levels during the dry summer months and exacerbating long-term water shortages in the region; and
  • Sea-level rise has already submerged one-third of the marsh at the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in the Chesapeake Bay.

Worldwide, the World Health Organization estimates that global warming already claims the lives of 150,000 people each year.

Global warming pollution from U.S. sources continues to rise, increasing 16 percent from 1990 to 2004.  The Energy Information Administration projects that U.S. carbon dioxide emissions will increase by 34 percent by 2030. Power plants and passenger vehicles are the largest U.S. sources, responsible for approximately 40 percent and 20 percent, respectively, of U.S. carbon dioxide emissions.

As pollution from these sources continues to increase, temperatures will continue to rise, and the effects of global warming will become more severe. In the last year, leading climate scientists have cautioned that the world is warming more quickly than expected and with potentially more damaging long-term consequences, such as an accelerated rise in the sea level due to the rapid melting of the Greenland ice sheet. Scientists now warn that we must reduce global warming pollution from today’s levels within 10 years in order to avoid the worst effects of global warming, such as sea level rise of more than 20 feet worldwide that would devastate coastal areas.

We can stop the worst effects of global warming and protect our children and future generations, if the U.S. acts decisively to reduce global warming pollution. Fortunately, we can use existing technologies to reduce global warming pollution by making power plants and factories more efficient, making cars go farther on a gallon of gasoline, and shifting to cleaner technologies, such as hybrids, biofuels, and wind and solar power. These are win-win solutions because they also will reduce our dependence on oil, reduce air pollution, and protect pristine places from oil drilling and mining.

To protect our children and future generations, we strongly urge you to support reducing global warming pollution by at least 15-20% from today’s levels by 2020 and by 80% by 2050.

Sincerely,

Signed by more than 600 organizations, officials, and individuals in 31 states and Washington, D.C.