E-M:/ Baker Woodlot - Michigan State University Campus

I recently heard from a MSU parks and recreation student about
a MSU plan to take as much as a 100 foot easement of fully forested portions
of Baker Woodlot on the MSU campus next to Farm Lane
(also known as the Rachana Rajendra Neotropical Migrant Bird Sanctuary)
for purposes of the grade separation project at Farm Lane and
the southern-most set of rail road tracks there.

I fail to see why this is necessary, why Farm Lane would need to be widened at
that point, even if a grade separation was put in, or why any temporary road needed
during construction should be routed through this nature sanctuary.   As far as I can
see, there is plenty of room west of Farm Lane for construction and temporary roads.

While I can understand the need for a grade separation at the rail road tracks, I fail to
see any need at all for a 4 lane highway on the Farm Lane section between the
two tracks.

Does anybody on this list know more details about this project, including
whether a public hearing is planned, whether the Baker Woodlot is under a restrictive
covenant preventing such development, whether federal money and a potential EIS
requirement should be invoked and the status and timetable for decisionmaking?

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com