Re: E-M:/ FW: / Baker Woodlot - Michigan State University Campus

Geoffrey:

Thanks for this information.  I'd still appreciate some graphics imagery
showing a drawing of the final planned configuration of this project, and
the location of any land incursions used for temporary traffic or construction purposes,
if you have some materials.

The student I met, by the way, was apparently commissioned to develop
a plan for moving a portion of the trails in Baker Woodlot because of this
construction.  That is why I was concerned about incursions into Baker Woodlot.

It has been a long time since I've dealt with road building and federal money, but
isn't there a "4F" process and requirements that cover the taking of those wetlands
and the Fisheries and Wildlife club natural conservation area lands?   Has MSU
complied with any specific requirements of federal law as to those takings?   Is
MSU planning a mitigation on wetlands taking and what consideration has been
given to alternatives to sparing those wetlands?

I still don't see the need to widen Farm Lane or pursue the 4 lane version of
these underpass/grade separations, just to accommodate some peak traffic.

Note that actual construction does not have to occur in Baker Woodlot for
this project to affect Baker, vis a vis noise, stormwater, road destruction of
wildlife, etc.

Alex Sagady

At 10:20 AM 10/24/2007, Geoffrey Habron wrote:
>Greetings! Thanks to the concerns about Baker Woodlot and the perspective of Edie Britt who appreciates that MSU students still give a hoot! I will try to provide some additional perspective. You can find the project information as available through the Michigan Department of Transportation.
>
><http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9621_11008_47765---,00.html>http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-151-9621_11008_47765---,00.html
>
>While the project does indeed spare Baker woodlot (<http://www.cpa.msu.edu/nat_area/namap.htm>http://www.cpa.msu.edu/nat_area/namap.htm, http://www.cpa.msu.edu/nat_area/baker.htm), it does impact 2 wetland areas. One of the wetlands comprises part of the MSU Fisheries and Wildlife Club Management a
>Area. Students are indeed impacted by this. In fact it is the second encroachment of the management area in 7 years including the construction of the Trowbridge Road extension.
>
>In terms of public hearings, the process has included a series of working groups involving consultants, MSU planners, MSU faculty and staff, and the Fisheries and Wildlife Club executive board. I am extremely pleased with how the students have addressed the situation in a very caring and professional manner. The consultants have spent a great deal of time addressing the social and environmental concerns, especially those related to stormwater that MSU's stormwater team has raised. In fact, the project has enabled future teaching, research and outreach related to innovative methods to minimize the ecological footprint. Of course that does not take away the fact that the project does reduce the size of the FW Club management area.
>
>The project has indeed held several campus hearings and meetings and I paste one of the announcements below. I personally have used the project as a center-piece of the Introduction to Fisheries and Wildlife course this year where students have conducted observations and read literature about the impacts of roads on ecological integrity. I encourage students to attend the public meetings and to bring their knowledge, concerns and insights with them. They also have to balance the needs and interest of the safety concerns behind the project. We discuss the project in terms of Aldo Leopold's conservation ethic, stewardship and sustainability.
>
>So Baker woodlot remains protected though access to it will diminish over the next year or so starting in March. We continue our exploration of Baker this week in class thinking that it might be the last Introduction to Fisheries and Wildlife class to use the Farm Lane entrance for a while. Thanks again for your concerns about the Baker Woodlot and MSU students! :)
>

>Press Release below:
>
>Subject: The New Farm Lane: Informational meetings planned
>
>August 21, 2007
>
>The New Farm Lane: Bridge to the Future
>
>Good afternoon,

> [...]

657 Spartan Avenue,  East Lansing, MI  48823
(517) 332-6971; (517) 332-8987 (fax); ajs@sagady.com