[Date Prev][Date Next][Date Index]
E-M:/ "The Future of Recycling in Michigan" Sierra Club Meeting Nov 1, 2007
- Subject: E-M:/ "The Future of Recycling in Michigan" Sierra Club Meeting Nov 1, 2007
- From: Carol Izant <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 05:37:22 -0700 (PDT)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:Date:From:Subject:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Message-ID; b=a4rnf1huD9T9a4DALnGcOsuRECP1QjVXaUfiE5E+YtMyjj0QHC/YjolA9KlVoLTFJg3QlLy1xllELRbee3efb+zTaFEEcFECppvhC3Pa85xGXsBVNfYwBy/3j1ptxBy+GVggCEQygLyOtbswTWjzdr+IvUo6t7+HHr1h6B2rhDo=;
- List-name: Enviro-Mich
- Reply-to: Carol Izant <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Note: forwarded message attached.
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
--- Begin Message ---
- Subject: Sierra Club-Southeast MI Group General Membership Meeting November 1, 2007
- From: Southeast Michigan Group <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 06:02:59 -0700
- Authentication-results: mta339.mail.mud.yahoo.com from=comcast.net; domainkeys=neutral (no sig)
- Reply-to: Southeast Michigan Group <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Expanding Michigan?s Recycling Future: A Look at the Sustainable Economic Development Approach?
A Presentation by Mike Csapo, Resource Recovery & Recycling Authority of Southwest Oakland County (RRRASOC)
In a time of shrinking revenue shares from the state, local units of government in Michigan are beginning to rethink their spending for recycling programs, often choosing to reduce existing services or eliminate programs altogether. Yet recycling provides undeniable and quantifiable environmental benefits that have a value, depending on the type of material, ranging between $18 and nearly $8,000 per ton. Landfilling costs, on the other hand, range from more than $3 per ton to nearly $77 per ton, with most recent estimates between $5-8 per ton. Consequently, recycling is a prime example of the failure of markets to correctly cost and price goods and services that provide ecological and sustainability benefits. Conversely, landfilling provides us with the failure of markets to correctly cost and price goods and services that are ecologically damaging. As a result, we under-invest in recycling and overuse disposal options such as landfilling. Getting these waste management price
s right is crucial in a 21st century society! Mike Csapo, General Manager of RRRASOC, will make the case for sustainable economic development through the recycling of secondary materials. As a member of Michigan?s Recycling Coalition, he will also fill us in on the latest in state policy regarding recycling and secondary materials markets.
The Southeast MI group (SEMG) meets on the first Thursday of each month at the Northwest Unitarian-Universalist Church, 23925 Northwestern Hwy, Southfield, MI. The church is located along the southbound US10 service drive between 9 & 10 Mile. Our meetings begin with a potluck dinner at 630pm followed by a brief local club update at 730pm. The featured programs listed below begin at 8pm. All are welcome, members and non-members alike, so please consider bringing a friend! For more info, contact Carol Izant at (248)352-6137 or email@example.com.
If you do not wish to receive further email messages of this type, reply to firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be removed from this list.
85 Second Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
--- End Message ---