E-M:/ Binational Forum: "Dangers of Nuclear Power," Warren, MI, Nov. 3

Event Announcement

Citizens for Alternatives to Chemical Contamination (CACC), Voices for Earth Justice, and Citizens Environment Alliance of Southwestern Ontario are co-sponsoring a forum, November 3rd, "Binational Forum: Dangers of Nuclear Power on the Great Lakes/Steps to a Sustainable Energy Future".  Admission is free. This event is a part of Step it Up, National Day of Climate action http://stepitup2007.org

The Binational Forum will take place in the Fr. Gerald Bretz Hall, directly behind St. Sylvester's Catholic Church, 11200 Twelve Mile Road, Warren MI between Hoover and Van Dyke. Turn south at the traffic light at Campbell Drive. The hall and parking lot are accessed from Campbell Drive. For a map, go to http://www.mapquest.com/ and put the address in - or for exact URL, go to http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?address=11200%20E%2012%20Mile%20Rd&city=Warren&state=MI&zipcode=48093%2d6444&country=US&geodiff=1

Endorsers at this time include:

Beyond Nuclear
Clean Water Action
Citizens' Resistance At Fermi Two
Coalition for a Nuclear-Free Great Lakes
Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice
Don't Waste Michigan
Huron Environmental Activist League
Lone Tree Council
Michigan Environmental Council
Nuclear Information and Resource Service

The forum is scheduled for Saturday, November 3, 2007, 9am -  5pm. We will serve a light lunch.

"Binational Forum: Dangers of Nuclear Power on the Great Lakes - and - Steps to a Sustainable Energy Future"

Citizens for Alternatives to Chemical Contamination,  Voices for Earth Justice and Citizens Environment Alliance of Southwestern Ontario are sponsoring an energy forum in November, focusing on ecological and economic hazards/risks from the nuclear fuel cycle, and the alternative choice of sustainable energy, including energy efficiency. We will also address nuclear power and sustainable energy in relationship to Global Warming.

Our speakers include:
  • Gordon Edwards, Ph.D., President, Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility/Regroupement pour la surveillance du nucleaire, Station Snowdon, Montreal, Quebec
  • S. (Ziggy) Kleinau, Coordinator of Citizens for Renewable Energy, Lionshead, Ontario
  • David Gard, Energy Program Director, Michigan Environmental Council, Lansing, Michigan
  • Alexis Raney, Director of Save the Wild U.P., Marquette, Michigan
  • Kevin Kamps of Beyond Nuclear, Radioactive Waste Watchdog, Takoma Park, Maryland.
Great Lakes songwriter and troubadour, Victor McManemy, will perform his music.

These are critical issues today. Great Lakes residents will soon have an extraordinary opportunity to comment on Ontario Power Generationâ??s proposal to put 20 plants worth of so-called "low" and "intermediate" level nuclear waste in a deep geological repository, less than one mile from Lake Huron. Global warming is having a pronounced effect on the Great Lakes. There is proposed uranium mining in Michigan's UP. Bruce Power is looking to expand nuclear power at the Bruce complex on Lake Huron, and the Canadian Federal Government is looking for a high-level nuclear waste dump in the Great Lakes Basin.  Detroit Edison has proposed building a new nuclear plant at Fermi, and has made inquiries toward building another. Canada is contemplating joining the Global Nuclear Energy Partnership, wherein the U.S. would reprocess much of the world's nuclear fuel, which could result in increased transportation of nuclear materials across our borders. Great Lakes uranium mining and milling has taken a huge toll on the health of First Nation communities and waters within the Great Lakes Bioregion. All of this is taking place without much public discussion or knowledge. As responsible citizens, we need to know where our tax dollars go. Then, we can help direct the public discussion on energy to equitable, sustainable solutions.

U.S. and Canadian governments seem bent on a nuclear (and big coal) buildup at the same time that many Great Lakes residents, including First Nation and Anishinabe Peoples, are seeking sustainable, decentralized  energy for our future - to protect both the People  - and the Waters, upon which our whole Bioregion depends. We also seek a smaller human footprint on the face of the Earth, and the urgent need to address global warming. We must take a look at the legacy we wish to leave our children and grandchildren. Join us for a look at the choices we have before us, and what we can do about it.

For more information, please contact:
Kay Cumbow, Citizens for Alternatives to Chemical Contamination <kcumbow@greatlakes.net> (810) 346-4513,  http://www.caccmi.org/
Patty Gillis, Voices for Earth Justice <voices4earth@juno.com> (248) 351-9001  http://www.voices4earth.org/

Kevin Kamps
Radioactive Waste Watchdog
Beyond Nuclear
6930 Carroll Avenue, Suite 400
Takoma Park, Maryland 20912

Office phone: (301) 270-2209
Cell phone: (240) 462-3216
Fax: (301) 270-4000
kevin@beyondnuclear.org
www.beyondnuclear.org

Kevin Kamps
Radioactive Waste Watchdog
Beyond Nuclear
6930 Carroll Avenue, Suite 400
Takoma Park, Maryland 20912

Office phone: (301) 270-2209
Cell phone: (240) 462-3216
Fax: (301) 270-4000
kevin@beyondnuclear.org
www.beyondnuclear.org

Kevin Kamps
Radioactive Waste Watchdog
Beyond Nuclear
6930 Carroll Avenue, Suite 400
Takoma Park, Maryland 20912

Office phone: (301) 270-2209
Cell phone: (240) 462-3216
Fax: (301) 270-4000
kevin@beyondnuclear.org
www.beyondnuclear.org

Be your own boss today! Go to Technical School. Click here.