E-M:/ The Great Lakes in Peril - Citizen Town Hall Meeting

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

November 1, 2007

Contact:

Lynna Kaucheck / Community Organizer /  Clean Water Action  /  Office: (248) 336-3460 / Cell: (586) 556-8805 / lkaucheck@cleanwater.org

***MEDIA ADVISORY***

The Great Lakes in Peril  - Citizen Town Hall Meeting

Time is running out to protect the Great Lakes

WHO:               Local lawmakers and Great Lakes, Great Michigan Coalition Partners

(Local partners include: Clean Water Action, Clinton River Watershed Council, East Michigan Environmental Action Council, Environment Michigan, League of Women Voters, Michigan Citizens for Water Conservation, Michigan Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life, Michigan Environmental Council, Michigan Interfaith Power and Light, Michigan League of Conservation Voters, Raging Grannies, Sierra Club)

WHAT:             Time is running out for us to protect our Great Lakes from being bought, sold and diverted away.  Competing proposals that could strengthen or weaken our water laws are now front and center in the Legislature. Your lawmakers need to hear that they have your support for proposed legislation  (SB 721-729 and HB 5065-5073) that will protect our waters, and to oppose proposals being considered now by the Senate Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Committee.  Every day our Great Lakes waters are threatened by private companies looking to make a profit from our water, and by dry southwestern states looking to siphon off some of the Great Lakes.  Decision time is now, and we need to act.

WHEN:             Monday, November 5, 2007

                        6:30 P.M. – 8:00 P.M.

WHERE:          St. John Fisher Chapel University Parish

                        3665 E. Walton Blvd.

                        Auburn Hills, MI

# # #

http://www.cleanwateraction.org/pdf/mi/glgmi-town-hall-invite20071024.pdf

--
Lynna Kaucheck
Community Organizer

"When the wells dry, we'll know the worth of water." ~ Ben Franklin