E-M:/ Binational Forum on nuclear hazards/green energy in the Great Lakes

Binational Forum: Dangers of Nuclear Power in the Great Lakes ?and-Steps to a Sustainable Energy Future
November 3, 2007 - 9 a.m. to 5 p. m.- Fr. Gerald Bretz Hall, directly behind St. Sylvester's Catholic Church,
11200 Twelve Mile Road, Warren MI * (Registration at 8:45 am)

For more information contact:
Kay Cumbow, CACC, <kcumbow@greatlakes.net> (810) 346-4513 http://www.caccmi.org/  or
Patty Gillis, Voices for Earth Justice, <voices4earth@juno.com> (248) 351-9001  http://www.voices4earth.org/

Cosponsors: Citizens for Alternatives to Chemical Contamination, Voices for Earth Justice, Citizens Environment Alliance of Southwestern Ontario, Nukewatch.  This event is a part of  Step it Up, National Day of Climate action   http://stepitup2007.org

Topics include:  The proposed deep underground nuclear waste dump at Kincardine, Ontario by Lake Huron in the heart of the Great Lakes, ecological and economic hazards/risks from the nuclear fuel cycle, the alternative choices of sustainable energy - including energy efficiency - proposed metallic sulfide mining/possible uranium mining in Michigan?s U.P., and how nuclear power and sustainable energy relate to Global Warming.
Admission is free. We will serve a light lunch. A free will donation towards the cost of the lunch is appreciated, but not necessary. Please do rsvp to <kcumbow@greatlakes.net> or <voices4earth@juno.com> if you are planning to attend the lunch.

Speakers include: The opening drum ceremony will be led by Doris Allen, President of Voices for Earth Justice. Others are welcome to join in.
Great Lakes songwriter and troubadour, Victor McManemy, will perform.

U.S. and Canadian governments seem bent on a nuclear (and big coal) buildup at the same time that many Great Lakes residents, including First Nation and Anishinaabe Peoples, are seeking sustainable, decentralized energy for our future ? to protect both the People- and the Waters, upon which our whole Bioregion depends. We seek a smaller human footprint on the face of the Earth, and see the urgent need to address global warming. What is the legacy we wish to leave our grandchildren? Join us for a look at the choices we have before us, and what we can do about it.

*Fr. Gerald Bretz Hall is located between Hoover and Van Dyke. Turn south at the traffic light at Campbell Drive. The hall and parking lot are accessed from Campbell Drive. For a map, go to http://www.mapquest.com/ and put the address in.

Endorsers: Beyond Nuclear, Clean Water Action, Citizens' Resistance At Fermi Two, Coalition for a Nuclear-Free Great Lakes, Detroiters Working for Environmental Justice, Don't Waste Michigan, The Ecology Center, Great Lakes United, Huron Environmental Activist League, Lone Tree Council,  Michigan Environmental Council, Nuclear Information and Resource Service.