E-M:/ Parker Woods Protected!

Enviro-Mich message from "Info" <info@washtenawlandtrust.org>

More good news on the land protection front:  Stanley & Helen Parker have
protected their woods in Scio Township, Washtenaw County ? and it links up
to a contiguous block of 256 acres of protected land!
Best regards,
-Suzie
===
PARKER FAMILY PROTECTS LAND WITH WASHTENAW LAND TRUST
23-acre woods connects to protected lands totaling 256 acres
(Location: Ann Arbor, Scio and Lima Townships, Washtenaw County, Michigan)

     Stanley & Helen Parker have protected their 23-acre woods by donating a
conservation agreement to the Washtenaw Land Trust.

     The Parker farm is one of the oldest family properties in this area,
dating back to 1836.  In 1999, most of the farm was permanently protected
with conservation agreements sold to the State of Michigan farmland
preservation program.  It was one of the first properties so protected in
Washtenaw County and in the state.  Stanley & Helen Parker have now donated
a conservation agreement to the Washtenaw Land Trust to protect the
remaining acreage of their farm, 23 acres of mature woods on its eastern
edge.

     ?The Parkers are to be commended for donating this land protection
agreement,? said Charity Steere, chair of the Washtenaw Land Trust?s Land
Protection Committee.

     ?This 23-acre woods links up to a contiguous block of 256 acres of
protected land that will now be available for farming forever, a permanent
benefit to the community.?

     ?Thanks should also go to Scio Township for their contribution of funds
to help with the costs of completing this conservation agreement.  We are
honored to have the opportunity to partner with the Township to protect this
land.?

     The conservation agreement, also known as a conservation easement, is a
legal agreement that places restrictions on the future development of the
property.  Under the terms of the agreement, the trees can be selectively
cut in accordance with a forest-management plan, and the land can be sold or
passed on to others, but the woods can never be clear-cut and the land can
never be developed.

     ?We?re glad we could get our land into the Land Trust,? said Helen
Parker, ?We encourage more people to do this so more land is conserved.?

     ?This gives our nephew a chance to stay in farming, and it leaves open
space, which means a lot.?

     With the donation of the conservation agreement, the property value of
the land decreases because of the restrictions on future development.
However, this is offset in part by federal income tax deductions that are
available to property owners who donate such an agreement.  The loss in land
value is considered a donation to the nonprofit Land Trust.  The Land Trust,
in turn, takes on the responsibility of making sure the land stays
protected.

About the Washtenaw Land Trust
The first land trust incorporated in Michigan, Washtenaw Land Trust is a
private non-profit that protects ? forever ? the natural areas and working
farms that make our community a great place to live. To date, this growing
organization has protected 55 properties totaling 3,068 acres throughout
Washtenaw, Jackson, and Ingham counties, through voluntary land
conservation.  For more information, visit www.washtenawlandtrust.org, or
contact info@washtenawlandtrust.org or 734-302-LAND (5263).

Photos of the protected site are available upon request
 ###
Weblink: http://www.washtenawlandtrust.org/nuparker07.htm

Suzanne Heiney, Development & Communications Director
Washtenaw Land Trust
1100 N. Main St. #203
Ann Arbor, MI  48104
suzie@washtenawlandtrust.org
734-302-LAND (5263)
"The land is forever. The opportunity is now."