Re: E-M:/ Secret fish report

I don't think draft reports are one of the exemptions in Michigan FOIA law. I have FOIAed draft reports before. If it's paid for with tax dollars, or it's in the hands of a public entity, then it's usually a public document. If I had to worry about not hurting people's feelings, then I wouldn't be a very good journalist. But I will put an end to this thread. You can't write a reply to it unless you get my permission first. Have a nice weekend. :)
Jeff.

John Rebers wrote:
No there isn't anything in the constitution compelling you to not to quote the report. However, common courtesy, respect for the author, and recognition that not complying with the request would make that author and all others reluctant to post draft reports in the future all are good reasons for complying with the request.

John Rebers

Jeff Kart wrote:
There's nothing in the Constitution that keeps a journalist from quoting a draft report without the author's permission.

Marvin Roberson wrote:
It's not a "Secret" report. It contains provisional data, which makes it a draft. Drafts are explicitly excluded under FOIA, both state and federal, for exactly this reason. Authors do not want provisional data cited or quoted, in order to not disseminate conclusions which may be not be accurate after final data is in.

This author is allowing public viewing of a report containing provisional data under the condition that citation or reference happen only after consultation with the author. This is MORE open than normal. In most circumstances, no version of the report would be available for viewing until final.