From: owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net
[mailto:owner-enviro-mich@great-lakes.net] On Behalf Of John Rebers
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2007 3:34 PM
To: Jeff Kart; enviro Mich
Subject: Re: E-M:/ Secret fish report

Enviro-Mich message from John Rebers <jrebers@nmu.edu>

No there isn't anything in the constitution compelling you to not to quote
the report. However, common courtesy, respect for the author, and
recognition that not complying with the request would make that author and
all others reluctant to post draft reports in the future all are good
reasons for complying with the request.

John Rebers

Jeff Kart wrote:
> There's nothing in the Constitution that keeps a journalist from
> quoting a draft report without the author's permission.
>

> Marvin Roberson wrote:
>> It's not a "Secret" report. It contains provisional data, which makes
>> it a draft. Drafts are explicitly excluded under FOIA, both state and
>> federal, for exactly this reason. Authors do not want provisional
>> data cited or quoted, in order to not disseminate conclusions which
>> may be not be accurate after final data is in.
>>
>> This author is allowing public viewing of a report containing
>> provisional data under the condition that citation or reference
>> happen only after consultation with the author. This is MORE open
>> than normal. In most circumstances, no version of the report would be
>> available for viewing until final.
>>

>> On Nov 17, 2007, at 12:50 PM, Jeff Kart wrote:
>>
>>> I can't see how I could be bound by that. Unless they've rewritten
>>> the First Amendment and I didn't notice.

enviro-mich"