E-M:/ Was PCB pollution LEGAL in the past?

I'm getting flack from some Republican sport fishers that are fighting the dioxin sediment cleanup of the Saginaw River system.  They are still chanting "out-of-sight-out-of-mind" don't disturb the sediment argument, don't punish Dow for the past, and the cleanup of Dow sediment is not worth the money.  They use the same argument for the cleanup of the PCBs such as in the Kalamazoo River.  If it is Dow Chemical dioxins or paper mills PCBs it's much the same debate to me.  I passed this link from Wisconsin on to them.

We often hear people say, “It’s not fair to make the paper industry pay to clean up the PCBs in the Fox River and Green Bay.   The companies didn’t break any laws and it was legal at the time to discharge PCBs.” This has been said so many times, many people believe it’s true. But it’s not true, for several reasons: