Re: E-M:/ Love mountains? Hate coal!

Enviro-Mich message from Ed Steinman <esteinma@umich.edu>

Some sources of additional info on MTR. These are groups I'm working with:
http://www.appalachianvoices.org/
http://www.kftc.org/
http://ohvec.org/
http://sludgesafety.org/

On Nov 30, 2007, at 11:18 AM, Mark Richardson wrote:

Enviro-Mich message from "Mark Richardson" <Mark.Richardson@macombcountymi.gov >

There was a PSC order requiring Michigan utilities to burn low sulphur
coal.  For some time this meant that the utilities obtained coal from
Wyoming or Montana.  Whatever happened to that order?

David Holtz <dholtz@cleanwater.org> 11/29/2007 3:35 PM >>>
EMichers:
Eighteen *coal-fired power plants in Michigan* are connected to*
mountaintop removal,* a radical form of coal mining in which mountains

are literally blown up. If you want to see the connection between your

own power plant and the mountaintop it's removing, go to I Love
Mountains.org <http://ilovemountains.org/>and plug in your zip code.
With up to seven--yes, seven--new dirty coal plants proposed for
Michigan, our state's giant carbon footprint is warming our planet and

destroying our mountains. You can take action with Michigan lawmakers
help block these new coal plants by going to Stop the Coal Rush
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2155/t/203/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=21874 >.

ENVIRO-MICH: Internet List and Forum for Michigan Environmental
and Conservation Issues and Michigan-based Citizen Action. Archives at