Re: E-M:/ Love mountains? Hate coal!

Enviro-Mich message from "Anna Dorothy Graham" <grahama9@msu.edu>

Eastern coal, from Appalachia, is essentially the dirty, high sulfur coal -- western coal is cleaner. Tunneling into the side of mountains is probably the best for the environment, but bad for the miners -- dangerous. Of course, a decent level of regulation, impossible under Bush, would help. There is essentially no way to use coal that doesn't have one drawback or another, although much can be done with stack scrubbers. God knows the Bush administration doesn't have the answers.

Seems to me the best answer is to turn away from coal as much as possible.
Anna

Does anyone know where the southern low-sulfur Western Coal mined from? Is one method less destructive to the environment than another? Is there a method to find out exactly where ones' coal comes from , and to what degree a homes electricity is powered by coal? I have asked DTE and they either do not know, or are unwilling to share.

Just curious. Thanks.
Namaste,
Edie