E-M:/ Taxpayer-pays pollution law spurs debate

Everywhere else in America, owners of contaminated land are responsible for cleaning up their property whether they caused the mess or not. But not in Michigan, where a 1995 change in state environmental law allows companies to skirt cleanups if they didn't cause the pollution.

"Today, it's (supposed to be) taxpayers pay, but we cut the taxes and now no one's paying," said Lana Pollack, president of the Michigan Environmental Council in Lansing.  "Today, it's (supposed to be) taxpayers pay, but we cut the taxes and now no one's paying," said Lana Pollack, president of the Michigan Environmental Council in Lansing.