E-M:/ Someone in Lansing has been Very Naughty....

Find out whose been naughty, help fight the coal rush by checking out the YouTube video at: www.progressmichigan.org/coal . and send the legislature a dirty lump of coal this Christmas.  Warn lawmakers of the impending coal rush in Michigan and let them know what they can do to stop it.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                                                               CONTACT: Dan Farough

Tuesday, Dec. 18, 2007                                                                                           (517) 643-2949

Public Urged to Send Legislators Lump of Coal, Stop Dirty Power Plants

YouTube video calls on citizens to send message to elected officials

LANSING – A new video posted today on Progress Michigan's Web site as well as YouTube urges citizens to make their voices heard and help protect Michigan's land, air, water and quality of life from large energy corporations seeking to build dirty polluting coal power plants in Michigan. Citizens can view the video and take action at www.progressmichigan.org/coal.  The take action is in support of Clean Energy Now's campaign to stop more dirty coal-fired power plants from locating in Michigan.

"Santa – and Michigan citizens – are going to send our legislators a big lump of coal for Christmas to warn them not to allow large coal and energy companies to saddle our state with dirty power plants and send our state back into the energy dark ages," Progress Michigan Executive Director Dan Farough said. "Michigan deserves clean, renewable energy this Christmas – and for many more Christmases to come – not more pollution from dirty coal plants. If we don't stop the coal rush, Michigan will go from the Great Lakes State to the Great Polluted State, and that's got to stop."

Michigan could see as many as seven new dirty polluting coal power plants unless the Legislature stands up to powerful coal and energy corporations and starts investing in more clean, renewable energy sources, such as wind and solar.

The video features one of Santa's helpers urging citizens to send their legislator a lump of coal as a warning to stop the coal rush and prevent new coal plants from being built in Michigan.

"Big energy corporations are threatening Michigan with seven new dirty coal-fired power plants – that's right, seven!" the helper says in the new video. "That means more dependence on imported fuels, less renewable energy and more global warming. And Santa hates global warming!"

The helper warns: "Michigan lawmakers must take action now to stop the coal rush. So this Christmas, all Santa's giving our legislators is a big lump of coal."

(more)

Progress Michigan and the Clean Energy Now coalition is calling on the legislature to establish a 'No Dirty Coal Plants' policy that would remain in effect until Michigan has a Clean Energy Plan that would:

The video concludes with a call to action, urging citizens to send legislators a message at www.progressmichigan.org/coal.

###