E-M:/ Sierra Club Cheers Final Passage of Energy Bill

Enviro-Mich message from "Anne Woiwode" <Anne.Woiwode@sierraclub.org>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 18 December 2007
CONTACT: Josh Dorner, 202.675.2384

              Sierra Club Cheers Final Passage of Energy Bill
     Legislation Includes Landmark Increase in Fuel Economy Standards

Washington, D.C.--Today, by an overwhelming, bipartisan margin of 314 to
100, the House passed the final version of the Energy Independence and
Security Act of 2007 (H.R. 6).  It will raise fuel economy standards to 35
miles per gallon, mandate a massive increase in the production of homegrown
biofuels, institute programs to train workers for 3 million green collar
jobs over the next ten years, dramatically increase the efficiency of our
buildings and appliances, and begin to take the steps needed to reduce our
global warming emissions.  President Bush has indicated that he will sign
the bill.

          Statement of Carl Pope, Sierra Club Executive Director

"The leadership in Congress promised a new direction on energy and today
they have delivered.  This bill is a clean break with the failed energy
policies of the past and puts us on the path toward a cleaner, greener
energy future.

"The centerpiece of this bill is a dramatic increase in fuel economy
standards that has been some three decades in the making.  It's testament
to the skill and tenacity of Speaker Pelosi, Majority Leader Reid, and
other key leaders in Congress that not only have we achieved this historic
victory--but that we do so with environmentalists, labor unions, and
business standing together in celebration.

"This bill is a huge Christmas present to the hardworking American families
suffering under record high energy prices.  It will offer them over $20
billion in relief at the pump and some $400 billion in additional savings
through greener buildings, more efficient appliances, and better light
bulbs.  It will also help us begin fueling our cars with greener fuels from
the Midwest instead of expensive imported oil from the Middle East.  And as
it becomes ever clearer that urgent action is needed to combat global
warming, this bill will make real progress by achieving a quarter of the
cuts we need by 2030 if we are to avert the most catastrophic effects of a
warming climate.

"It remains unacceptable that the Southern Company, other polluters, and a
small group of Congressmen determined to block progress were able to use
procedural tricks to block a Renewable Electricity Standard supported by a
majority of the Congress and--more importantly--by an even larger majority
of the American people.  The American people are demanding clean energy and
we will work with the Congressional leadership to ensure that these
provisions are brought back for a vote--and passed--as soon as possible.

"We are pleased that President Bush has said he will sign this bill and
look forward to this bill becoming law as soon as possible."

                                   # # #